For a long time, my review policy stated, "I am not currently accepting books for review through this blog." Even with that message up in big, bold, italicized letters, the requests kept coming. And I accepted some of them while rejecting most. I don't think this was fair. It most certainly wasn't fair to me that so many people were ignoring my very obvious wish not to be inundated with review copies. But it also wasn't fair to those of you who respected my wishes and didn't contact me, while I accepted pitches from others.
So here is a revised review policy:
- If you would like me to review a book, please email me at the email address listed on my blogger profile (link removed here due to receipt of far too many spam emails) with the book's title and description. Please also tell me when the book would arrive if I accepted it for review, and the time frame in which you expect the review to be posted.
- Books that I will not accept:
- Urban or paranormal fantasy
- Contemporary romance
- Books that I am more likely to accept:
- History Non-Fiction, especially those focused on social history, women, civil rights, or people of color. I also have a love for the long 18th century in British history.
- Science Fiction/Fantasy: I do not read paranormal or urban romance. I am veering away from traditional epic fantasy. I really enjoy alternate history.
- Historical Fiction: I am reading less historical fiction these days, but still really enjoy it in almost any setting.
- If I accept the book to review, I will send you an email confirming this with my address for either a physical or electronic copy of the book.
- If you are a self-published author, I will consider your book for review but require a sample chapter to read first.
- My review will most likely post during the time period agreed upon, give or take a week. Sometimes, though, it will not. I have a full-time job, an active social life, and hobbies other than reading. I am also a very moody reader and would prefer to read a book that grabs my attention than force myself to read something for review. If this scenario bothers you, then please do not contact me to review your book.
I am only able to review books by their deadlines consistently because I so rarely accept books to review. Please respect that, and do not take it personally if I decline your offer.